Sunday, April 6

La Leche League of New Jersey

On Saturday, I had the opportunity to attend a great conference that creates awareness in breastfeeding. It was pretty interesting. I personally went to 4 groups. One of the groups discussed psychological impacts of breastfeeding. They went a little in depth as to why some women choose not to breastfeed or only breastfeed for a few weeks. The next workshop I went to was about co-sleeping, the family bed. The third workshop was about positive thinking (the author of this website, wwww.letthebabydrive.com). The last workshop I went to was about babywearing, different types of carriers and how to use them. In the middle of all this was speech presented by Dr. Sear's son about attachment parenting, inspirational to those of us who practice some sort of version of it.

La Leche League is a great program that helps ladies thru mother to mother support gain trust back into breastfeeding. I did with my son when he was 5 weeks of age, I had tons of doubt, and problems. Despite of the mastitis, the lack of support, and other things, I breastfed for about 3 1/2 years...basically almost two to three months ago, my son stopped mainly due to breastmilk probably decreasing due to my pregnancy, in which I was frequently complaining about tenderness. In all honesty if I was not pregnant, I think we would still be a breastfeeding duo.

La Leche League can be found at www.llli.org, and the La Leche League of NJ can be found at www.lalecheleaguenj.org.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Hi! I am so sorry for not getting back to you!!! I feel HORRIBLE!! I am just cleaning out my inbox, and found your message/comment. I didn't have time to read on your site yet, (if you were expecting, or just wanting to hear hypnobirth stories), but I would love to talk about it more if you are still interested. Just briefly, I LOVE LOVE LOVE hypnobabies!!! I did it religiously with my first birth, which happened to be extremely long. But what I DO attribute to hypnobabies is how I experienced it. It absolutely DID NOT feel as long as it was. (39 hrs). The 2nd, faster (8hr) birth was wonderful as well, but I didn't really work the program. I didn't do much practicing, didn't listen to many scripts or use much hypnobabies during my birthing time. This is mostly because I was in denial about being pregnant the whole pregnancy, plus busy with my baby, so didn't practice. I will talk in more detail if you want to chat. I love talking about births! I did end up with an epidural, but I'm not upset about it. My births were amazing and I LOVE hypnobabies! It works! I look forward to chatting!
-Megan

BestViewInBrooklyn said...

Thanks for stopping by. I love your site. I was glad to see your link to the NJ WIC and the info that they provide pumps and info. Around here, it's pretty rare that a mom on WIC will breastfeed. It's all about formula. It also looks like we have had a lot of similar experiences (planned a natural birth, had those plans change and end up with a cesarean, breastfed, LLLI, Vegetarian (quite different from Vegan, I know!), and now pregnant! I'm glad you enjoyed the blog, I'll keep posting poems through April, and maybe after. It's National Poetry Month as well as Cesarean Awareness Month! Take care of yourself.